Jan 25, 2016

Prague, Czech Republic





The ancient beauty and splendor of Prague, a city beyond compare, left an impression on my imagination that will never fade. - Richard Wagner 

I have to admit, the night before we drove to Prague I wasn't as excited about this trip as our previous destinations. Mixed reviews from fellow travelers had me second guessing if we should have gone elsewhere. I also blame myself for not researching the city and laying out a good itinerary for us. I dropped the dogs off at the kennel and delayed packing for our trip. I so despise this task and always put it off until the last minute. Which in turn causes me more stress seconds before our departure.. why.. why.. do I do this? Alex is the packing and organizing guru of our family and I high-five him for putting us ahead of schedule and on the road in record time.

We've waited months for snow to fall over here and of course it came in the early morning hours just as we were getting ready to be on our way. To bring the SUV or the car was the hot question at 5:30 am. Oh, definitely the car. Thinking solely on the premise of better gas mileage and size for driving those narrow city streets to get to our hotel. The further east we drove, the more snow kept falling, our windshield wipers moving as fast as my heart rate. I was angry at my 5:30am self for choosing the wrong vehicle. Alas, we made it to the city and praised God for safe traveling mercies. 

With temperatures below freezing, we bundled up and headed out to explore the city on foot, walking at least four miles each day, stopping at more than one street vendor cart to buy Trdelnik and potato soup. Everyone told us that Charles Bridge would be tourist central. I'm not one for hordes of tourists because navigating crowds with a stroller is less than pleasant. But, the bridge was quiet. Where was everyone? I'm assuming the frigid temps and the time of year had something to do with it. Well worth traveling the off season! 


Travel Notes

Helpful Website
This website was one of the most inclusive sites I found that offered information about how to navigate Prague, it's history, attractions, and much more. All About Prague website

Hotel Cloister-Inn
I love staying at fancy hotels but those aren't in the budget since we started traveling frequently. This budget friendly find was a real steal with breakfast included AND in a prime location; within a five minute walk to Charles Bridge and the Old Town. It's kid-friendly with high chairs, children's tableware sets, and cribs upon request. Parking is available for 20 euros on site but a reservation must be made in advance since space is limited. Hotel Cloister-Inn website

Vinohradsky Parlament Restaurant
Ok, I found a really cool "foodie" type of restaurant that cooks with local ingredients and makes some mighty tasty Czech food. The highlight, wait for it... A separate children's playroom complete with a free babysitter.  Oh no, she didn't just say that. Yes, people, It DOES exist. Children ages 3-8 may use the playroom unaccompanied by parents. Children under the age of 3 must have a parent with them. Now can more restaurants jump on this idea? Is this a thing in the US? It needs to be. Vinohradsky Parlament Restaurant website

Petrin Hill Funicular Schedule
We weren't about to walk the many steps up to Petrin Hill with the stroller, cause that wouldn't be fun. So, we thought we would just hop the Funicular to the top, uh, wrong. Remember how I mentioned I didn't do much research and planning for this trip? yeaaaa... apparently the Funicular is closed down until March 2016 for reconstruction. This site will provide you with the information we wish we would have known in advance! Petrin Hill Funicular Schedule

Itinerary- 4 days and 3 nights
  • Day 1
    • Depart Stuttgart by 7:30am and drive to Prague (5 hours)
    • Check-in at hotel 
    • Lunch at a street side cafe 
    • Charles Bridge 
    • Old Town Square 
    • Dinner in Old Town Square
  • Day 2
    • Breakfast at the hotel
    • Charles Bridge 
    • Petrin Hill 
    • Castle 
    • Roam the streets
    • Dinner at Vinhoradsky (so good!) 
  • Day 3 
    • Breakfast at the hotel
    • Astronomical Clock
    • St. Vitus Cathedral
    • Shopping 
    • Lunch at a street side cafe
    • Roam the streets near the castle 
    • Dinner on the go
  • Day 4 
    • Check-out and travel day



























2 comments:

  1. Um, that restaurant sounds like the most amazing thing!! Also, did you totally lie and say B was three, because that would of been spilling out of my mouth. No judgement! And yes, more restaurants like that... wanna start one??

    Looks like a fun (but cold) trip! I rememeber the first time I went to buy ice cream in Prague, I thought I was massively overpaying because of the CZK=) And then J told me it was like a euro for an ice cream cone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I knew you would be all over a restaurant like that. Alex and I started talking initial start-up ideas while still in the restaurant.. so, a partnership can be formed with ya'll if you're interested ;)

    You and I would be a good travel duo. I couldn't believe our lunch cost 648 CZK.. the initial reaction is always shocking until you do the conversion ;)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design